In this post, I’ll reveal and explain more than 150 VA-approved State Veteran Nursing Homes for 2023!
All 50 states offer at least one “State Veterans Home” for disabled veterans and homeless veterans.
The VA generally pays for the care of veterans who meet certain eligibility criteria.
Okay, let’s explore more about the top state veteran homes this year.
- Veteran Home Care: What is the State Veteran Nursing Homes Program?
- Veteran Assisted Living: Who is Eligible for a State Veterans Home?
- VA Nursing Home Services: What Services Can I get?
- How Do I Know If a State Veterans Home Is Right for Me?
- What About Free VA Nursing Care?
- Veterans Home: List of Approved VA Long Term Care Facilities by State
- New Hampshire
- New Jersey
- New Mexico
- New York
- North Carolina
- North Dakota
- Rhode Island
- South Carolina
- South Dakota
- West Virginia
- About the Author
Veteran Home Care: What is the State Veteran Nursing Homes Program?
State veterans nursing homes are facilities that provide nursing home services and domiciliary or adult day healthcare to disabled and homeless veterans.
They are owned and operated by state governments.
The “State Veteran Homes Program” dates to the Civil War era when many states created them to provide shelter to disabled and homeless veterans.
To participate in the State Veterans Home program, the VA must formally recognize and certify a facility as a State Veterans Home.
The VA then surveys all facilities each year to make sure they continue to meet VA standards.
Veteran Assisted Living: Who is Eligible for a State Veterans Home?
Eligibility for State Veterans Homes is based on clinical need and availability.
Each State is responsible for establishing eligibility and admission criteria for its homes.
Some State Veterans Homes may admit non-veteran spouses and gold star parents while others may admit only veterans.
A VA-recognized State Veterans Home may receive payments directly from the VA to help defray the cost of care provided to its veteran patients.
The cost of these facilities varies by state.
The VA will not pay for care of non-veterans.
Interested veterans should talk with a VA social worker about the eligibility requirements of State Veterans Homes near you, and to figure out a plan for paying for State Veterans Home care services.
Learn more about costs for long-term care by visiting the Paying for Long Term Care link.
VA Nursing Home Services: What Services Can I get?
Each State Veterans Home provides nursing home, domiciliary, or adult day healthcare services.
The State Veterans Home may also provide more than one of these services depending on the specific needs of the veteran.
State Veterans Homes are in all 50 states and Puerto Rico.
Some states have more than one State Veterans Homes.
Click HERE for a complete list of Veterans Nursing Homes by state.
How Do I Know If a State Veterans Home Is Right for Me?
Deciding whether to move into a State Veterans Home is an important decision for veterans and their families.
A good option is to use the Veteran Decision Aid for Care at Home or in the Community to help determine what home-care services or long-term care services may best meet your needs now or in the future.
Veterans or their caretakers can also take a free Caregiver Self-Assessment.
It can help your caregiver identify their own needs and decide how much support they can offer to you.
Having this information from your caregiver, along with the involvement of your VA healthcare team and VA social worker, will help you reach short-term and long-term care decisions.
Ask your VA social worker for these resources or download copies from the Making Decisions page at VA.gov/geriatrics.
If a State Veterans Home seems right for you, your VA social worker can help you locate one and assist with all planning and execution.
What About Free VA Nursing Care?
Veterans can get nursing home care in one of the three different nursing home options listed below.
In each, you’d live there full time and have access to nursing and medical care, as well as help with daily tasks 24 hours a day.
You may be able to get VA benefits to help pay for nursing home care.
It depends on your income and the level of your service-connected disability (a disability that resulted from your military service).
- Community Living Centers: VA nursing centers that are designed to feel like home
- Community Nursing Homes: Non-VA nursing homes that we contract with in many parts of the country so you can get care near your home and family
- State Veterans Homes: State-owned and -managed centers that provide full-time care for Veterans and, sometimes, non-Veteran spouses and Gold Star parents
Veterans Home: List of Approved VA Long Term Care Facilities by State
Veterans Homes in Alabama:
- Bill Nichols State Veterans Home Alexander City, Alabama
- Col Robert L. Howard State Veterans Home Pell City, Alabama
- Floyd E. “Tut” Fann State Veterans Home Huntsville, Alabama
- William F. Green State Veterans Home Bay Minette, Alabama
Veterans Homes in Alaska:
Veterans Homes in Arizona:
Veterans Homes in Arkansas:
- Arkansas Veterans Home at Fayetteville, Arkansas
- Arkansas Veterans Home at North Little Rock North Little Rock, Arkansas
Veterans Homes in California:
- Veterans Home of California – Chula Vista Chula Vista, California
- Veterans Home of California – Fresno, California
- Veterans Home of California – Lancaster, California
- Veterans Home of California – Redding, California
- Veterans Home of California – Ventura, California
- Veterans Home of California – West Los Angeles Los Angeles, California
- Veterans Home of California – Yountville, California
- Veterans Home of California – Barstow, California
Veterans Homes in Colorado
- Bruce Mccandless Colorado Veterans Community Living Center – Florence
- Colorado Veterans Community Living Center at Homelake, Colorado
- Colorado Veterans Community Living Center at Rifle, Colorado
- Spanish Peaks Veterans Community Living Center – Walsenburg, Colorado
- Veterans Community Living Center at Fitzsimons – Aurora, Colorado
Veterans Homes in Connecticut
Veterans Homes in Delaware
Veterans Homes in Florida
- Alexander “Sandy” Nininger State Veterans’ Nursing Home – Pembroke Pines, Florida
- Baldomero Lopez Veterans Nursing Home – Land-O-Lakes, Florida
- Clifford Chester Sims State Veterans’ Nursing Home – Panama City, Florida
- Clyde E. Lassen State Veterans’ Nursing Home – St. Augustine, Florida
- Douglas Jacobson State Veterans’ Nursing Home – Port Charlotte, Florida
- Emory Bennett Memorial Veterans’ Home – Daytona Beach, Florida
- Robert H. Jenkins, Jr. Veterans’ Domiciliary Home of Florida – Lake City, Florida
Veterans Homes in Georgia
Veterans Homes in Hawaii
Veterans Homes in Idaho
- Idaho State Veterans Home – Boise, Idaho
- Idaho State Veterans Home – Lewiston, Idaho
- Idaho State Veterans Home – Pocatello, Idaho
Veterans Homes in Illinois
- Illinois Veterans Home – Manteno, Illinois
- Illinois Veterans Home – Quincy, Illinois
- Illinois Veterans’ Home – Anna, Illinois
- Illinois Veterans’ Home – Lasalle, Illinois
Veterans Homes in Indiana
Veterans Homes in Iowa
Veterans Homes in Kansas
Veterans Homes in Kentucky
- Carl M. Brashear Radcliff Veterans Center Radcliff, Kentucky
- Eastern Kentucky Veterans Center Hazard, Kentucky
- Joseph Ballard Western Kentucky Veterans Center Hanson, Kentucky
- Thomson Hood Veterans Center Wilmore, Kentucky
Veterans Homes in Louisiana
- Louisiana War Veterans’ Home Jackson, Louisiana
- N.E. Louisiana War Veterans’ Home Monroe, Louisiana
- North West Louisiana Veterans’ Home Bossier City, Louisiana
- S.E. Louisiana War Veterans’ Home Reserve, Louisiana
- South West Louisiana War Veterans’ Home Jennings, Louisiana
Veterans Homes in Maine
- Maine Veterans Home – Augusta, Maine
- Maine Veterans Home – Caribou, Maine
- Maine Veterans Home – Scarborough, Maine
- Maine Veterans’ Home – Bangor, Maine
- Maine Veterans’ Home – Machias, Maine
- Maine Veterans’ Home – South Paris, Maine
Veterans Homes in Maryland
Veterans Homes in Massachusetts
Veterans Homes in Michigan
- D.J. Jacobetti Home for Veterans – Marquette, Michigan
- Grand Rapids Home for Veterans – Grand Rapids, Michigan
- Michigan Veteran Homes – Chesterfield Township, Michigan
Veterans Homes in Minnesota
- Minnesota Veterans Home – Fergus Falls, Minnesota
- Minnesota Veterans Home – Hastings, Minnesota
- Minnesota Veterans Home – Luverne, Minnesota
- Minnesota Veterans Home – Minneapolis, Minnesota
- Minnesota Veterans Home – Silver Bay, Minnesota
Veterans Homes in Mississippi
- Mississippi Veterans Home – Oxford, Mississippi
- Mississippi Veterans Home – Collins, Mississippi
- Mississippi Veterans Home – Jackson, Mississippi
- Mississippi Veterans Home – Kosciusko, Mississippi
Veterans Homes in Missouri
- Missouri Veterans Home – Cameron, Missouri
- Missouri Veterans Home – Cape Girardeau, Missouri
- Missouri Veterans Home – Mexico, Missouri
- Missouri Veterans Home – Mt. Vernon, Missouri
- Missouri Veterans Home – St. James, Missouri
- Missouri Veterans Home – St. Louis, Missouri
- Missouri Veterans Home – Warrensburg, Missouri
Veterans Homes in Montana
- Eastern Montana Veterans Home – Glendive, Montana
- Columbia Falls Montana Veterans Home – Columbia Falls, Montana
- Southwest Montana Veterans Home – Butte, Montana
Veterans Homes in Nebraska
- Central Nebraska Veterans Home – Kearney, Nebraska
- Eastern Nebraska Veterans Home – Bellevue, Nebraska
- Norfolk Veterans Home – Norfolk, Nebraska
- Western Nebraska Veterans Home – Scottsbluff, Nebraska
Veterans Homes in Nevada
- Nevada State Veterans Home – Boulder City, Nevada
- Northern Nevada State Veterans Home – Sparks, Nevada
Veterans Homes in New Hampshire
Veterans Homes in New Jersey
- Menlo Park Veterans Memorial Home – Edison, New Jersey
- Paramus Veterans Memorial Home – Paramus, New Jersey
- Vineland Veterans Memorial Home – Vineland, New Jersey
Veterans Homes in New Mexico
- Fort Bayard Medical Center – Santa Clara, New Mexico
- New Mexico State Veterans’ Home – Truth or Consequences, New Mexico
Veterans Homes in New York
- Long Island State Veterans Home – Stony Brook, New York
- New York State Veterans Home – Batavia, New York
- New York State Veterans Home – Montrose, New York
- New York State Veterans Home – Oxford, New York
- New York State Veterans Home – St. Albans Jamaica, New York
Veterans Homes in North Carolina
- State Veterans Nursing Home – Black Mountain, North Carolina
- State Veterans Nursing Home – Fayetteville, North Carolina
- State Veterans Nursing Home – Kinston, North Carolina
- State Veterans Nursing Home – Salisbury, North Carolina
Veterans Homes in North Dakota
Veterans Homes in Ohio
- Ohio Veterans Home Domiciliary – Sandusky, Ohio
- Ohio Veterans Home – Georgetown, Ohio
- Ohio Veterans Home Nursing Home – Sandusky, Ohio
Veterans Homes in Oklahoma
- Lawton/Ft. Sill Veterans Center Lawton, Oklahoma
- Oklahoma Veterans Center – Ardmore, Oklahoma
- Oklahoma Veterans Center – Claremore, Oklahoma
- Oklahoma Veterans Center – Clinton, Oklahoma
- Oklahoma Veterans Center – Norman, Oklahoma
- Oklahoma Veterans Center – Sulphur, Oklahoma
- Oklahoma Veterans Center – Talihina, Oklahoma
Veterans Homes in Oregon
- Edward C. Allworth Oregon Veterans’ Home – Lebanon, Oregon
- Oregon State Veterans Home – Dalles, Oregon
Veterans Homes in Pennsylvania
- Delaware Valley Veterans’ Home – Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- Gino J. Merli Veterans’ Center – Scranton, Pennsylvania
- Hollidaysburg Veterans Home – Hollidaysburg, Pennsylvania
- Pennsylvania Soldiers’ & Sailors’ Home – Erie, Pennsylvania
- Southeastern Veterans’ Center – Spring City, Pennsylvania
- Southwestern Veterans’ Center – Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Veterans Homes in Rhode Island
Veterans Homes in South Carolina
- E. Roy Stone, Jr. Veterans Pavilion – Columbia, South Carolina
- Palmetto Patriots Home – Gaffney, South Carolina
- Richard M. Campbell Veterans Nursing Home – Anderson, South Carolina
- Veteran Village – Florence, South Carolina
- Veterans’ Victory House Nursing Home – Walterboro, South Carolina
Veterans Homes in South Dakota
Veterans Homes in Tennessee
- Tennessee State Veterans Home – Humboldt, Tennessee
- Tennessee State Veterans Home – Knoxville, Tennessee
- Tennessee State Veterans Home – Clarksville, Tennessee
- Tennessee Veterans Home – Murfreesboro, Tennessee
Veterans Homes in Texas
- Alfredo Gonzalez Texas State Veterans Home – Mcallen, Texas
- Ambrosio Guillen Texas State Veterans Home – El Paso, Texas
- Clyde W. Cosper Texas State Veterans Home – Bonham, Texas
- Frank M. Tejeda Texas State Veterans Home – Floresville, Texas
- Lamun-Lusk-Sanchez Texas State Veterans Home – Big Spring, Texas
- Richard A Anderson Texas State Veterans Home – Houston, Texas,
- Ussery-Roan Texas State Veterans Home – Amarillo, Texas
- Watkins-Logan Texas State Veterans Home – Tyler, Texas
- William R. Courtney Texas State Veterans Home – Temple, Texas
Veterans Homes in Utah
- Central Utah Veterans Home – Payson, Utah
- George E. Wahlen Ogden Veterans’ Home – Ogden, Utah
- Southern Utah Veterans Home – Ivins, Utah
- Utah State Veterans Nursing Home – Salt Lake City, Utah
Veterans Homes in Vermont
Veterans Homes in Virginia
- Sitter And Barfoot Veterans Care Center – Richmond, Virginia
- Virginia Veterans Care Center – Roanoke, Virginia
Veterans Homes in Washington
- Spokane Veterans Home – Spokane, Washington
- Walla Walla Veterans Home – Walla Walla, Washington
- Washington Soldiers’ Home – Orting, Washington
- Washington Veterans Home – Port Orchard, Washington
Veterans Homes in West Virginia
- The West Virginia Veterans Home – Barboursville, West Virginia
- West Virginia State Veterans Nursing Facility – Clarksburg, West Virginia
Veterans Homes in Wisconsin
- Wisconsin Veterans Home – Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin
- Wisconsin Veterans Home – King, Wisconsin
- Wisconsin Veterans Home – Union Grove, Wisconsin
Veterans Homes in Wyoming
About the Author
Founder & CEO
Brian Reese is a VA benefits expert, author of the #1 Amazon Bestseller You Deserve It: The Definitive Guide to Getting the Veteran Benefits You’ve Earned, and founder of VA Claims Insider – “The Most Trusted Name in Education-Based Resources for Veterans.”
His frustration with the 8-step VA disability claims process led him to create “VA Claims Insider,” which provides U.S. military veterans with tips, strategies, and lessons learned for successfully submitting or re-submitting a winning VA disability compensation claim.
Brian is also the CEO of Military Disability Made Easy, which is the world’s largest free searchable database for all things related to DoD disability and VA disability claims and has served more than 4,600,000 military members and veterans since its founding in 2013.
His eBook, the “9 Secrets Strategies for Winning Your VA Disability Claim” has been downloaded more than 300,000 times in the past three years and is the #1 rated free VA disability claims guide for veterans.
He is a former active duty Air Force officer with extensive experience leading hundreds of individuals and multi-functional teams in challenging international environments, including a combat tour to Afghanistan in 2011 supporting Operation ENDURING FREEDOM.
Brian is a Distinguished Graduate of Management from the United States Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, CO and he holds an MBA from Oklahoma State University’s Spears School of Business, Stillwater, OK, where he was a National Honor Scholar (Top 1% of Graduate School class).