Skip to content

June 16, 2023

How To Use The VA Disability Calculator

I hope you enjoy reading this blog post.

If you want to learn how to implement these strategies to get the VA benefits you deserve, click here to speak with a VA claim expert for free.

The VA disability calculator is an easy-to-use tool that estimates the monthly compensation you should receive for your service-connected disabilities. It takes into account a couple of factors, such as your disability, your rating percentages, and your family status. A VA rating calculator also does some behind-the-scenes math and spits out the dollar amount estimate you’ll receive from the VA. 




Take advantage of a FREE VA Claim Discovery Call with an experienced Team Member. Learn what you’ve been missing so you can FINALLY get the disability rating and compensation you’ve earned for your service.

There are several VA disability calculators out there that are not super user-friendly. But ours is straightforward and simple. Here’s how to use it:

Step 1: Select the Location of Disability

First, select the part(s) of your body where you have a disability or the specific disability if it’s listed. If it’s not listed, select other and type in your disability.


Step 2: Select Disability Percentage

Next, slide the red dot to your percentage and click ADD. Repeat steps 1 and 2 to add multiple disabilities.

tmJMcvxrZCFpph rPwEJTKylA6Z4oExtXiXNhBtAeCCIQT6FkepAjerToKFNWKWu1ks GRVh2 JAeIzZGAJVfsVVD5RCHqJcjafyrYnLUk7bhys9YznGeiE6aM5O

Step 3: Select Dependents

Third, note whether you’re married, how many children you have, or parent dependents. 

hOk5k0JcqBo1gZe9O2PLQCXVUfaASOe0h0HKwj 6vPTQk vPdoWFZo8y8S glI5dnK3d3VgV40euYVf9LDeMd BeftsanwqiqsNp8aPc XsneeWNtpHAMTNj1xLzRZN1 89yZSY1ks89 y4eQNgQ LE

Step 4: View Estimated Monthly VA Payment

Your estimated monthly VA payment will display to the right. In this example, a veteran with a 50% rating for their left arm who is married, has two kids and has two parent dependents is estimated to get $1539.82 a month.

aX3 afg7PM6i7kuPwoqFDCO3Kw3GN7yhyv26uSCSmcYXOVSkFP7IIWhsKTRuWEzXW8OwWd5oTwwMACa3c HYCzc78FlCTxoxe5YTruw5h1GAh7AnUiEl0m

How are VA disability rates calculated?

A VA disability calculator is useful because the VA has a unique way of calculating your total rating.

Your total rating can range from 0-100% and is always rounded to the nearest 10 (5% is rounded up). If you have one service-connected disability, the rating you receive for that disability will equal your total rating. But, if you have multiple service-connected disabilities, the math gets a little tricky.

When determining your total rating from multiple ratings, the VA calculates what’s called your combined rating. They don’t just add all ratings together. For example, If you have three ratings at 40%, your total rating is not going to equal 120% because, in the VA’s mind, you can’t be more than 100% disabled.

Instead, they start by subtracting your highest rating from 100. Let’s say that’s 70%. 100 – 70 = 30. They then factor in your next highest rating into the remaining 30%. Let’s say that’s 40%. 40% of 30 is 12. That means your total rating equals 80% because 70 + 12 = 82, which is rounded down to 80%. 

You can see how it would be difficult to determine your total rating if you have 5 or 6 ratings. Simplify the process and empower yourself by using our FREE VA disability calculator.

If you need a hand navigating the VA claims process and figuring out how to maximize your combined rating, you can speak with our experts by booking your FREE VA Claims Insider Discovery Call.



Most veterans are underrated for their disabilities and, therefore, not getting their due compensation. At VA Claims Insider, we help you understand and take control of the claims process, so you can get the rating and compensation you’re owed by law. 

Our process takes the guesswork out of filing a VA disability claim and supports you every step of the way in building a fully-developed claim (FDC)—so you can increase your rating FAST! If you’ve filed your VA disability claim and have been denied or have received a low rating—or you’re unsure how to get started—reach out to us! Take advantage of a FREE VA Claim Discovery Call. Learn what you’ve been missing—so you can FINALLY get the disability rating and compensation YOU DESERVE!

Related Articles

Featured Resources

Elite Membership

Dear Veteran,
Here’s the brutal truth about VA disability claims:

According to our data, 8/10 (80%) of veterans reading this message right now are underrated by the VA…

This means you do NOT currently have the VA disability rating and compensation YOU deserve, and you could be missing out on thousands of dollars of tax-free compensation and benefits each month.

As a fellow disabled Veteran this is shameful and I’m on a mission to change it.

Brian Reese here, Air Force service-disabled Veteran and Founder @ VA Claims Insider.

Since 2016, VA Claims Insider has helped thousands of Veterans just like you get the VA rating and compensation they deserve in less time.

If accepted into our ELITE membership program, you’ll get free up-front access and permission to use $13,119 worth of proprietary VA claim resources, including access to our network of independent medical professionals for medical examinations, disability evaluations, and credible Medical Nexus Letters, which could help you get a HIGHER VA rating in LESS time.

It’s FREE to get started, so click “Go Elite Now” below to complete our 3-step intake process.

  1. Complete Basic Information
  2. Sign Members Agreement
  3. Join the Mastermind Group

If you’re stuck, frustrated, underrated, and currently rated between 0%-90%, VA Claims Insider Elite is for you!

Click “Go Elite Now” below to get started today and a member of our team will be in touch within minutes.

Go Elite Now!

Why Choose VA Claims Insider

You’ve exhausted your free resources

You're not alone. Thousands of other Veterans in our Community are here for you.

Veteran Community

You’re ready to get the rating you deserve

We know the pain of feeling stuck, frustrated, and alone, and we want to make this process as easy and painless as possible for you.

Explore Elite Membership

We win ONLY when YOU win

Hear from fellow Veterans just like you, with many of our Veteran Ambassadors having gone through our programs.

Schedule a Call

Fellow Veterans:

For a limited time, you can book a free, no-obligation VA Claim Discovery Call with one of our experts.

Book A Call

Fellow Veterans:

For a limited time, you can book a free, no-obligation VA Claim Discovery Call with one of our experts.

Book A Call