Did you know there are more than 900 conditions eligible for compensation in the official VA disability claim list?
In this post, we reveal and explain the complete VA disability conditions list by body system and diagnostic code.
Don’t forget that to be eligible for VA disability compensation, you must first have:
- An honorable or other than honorable discharge (can’t be dishonorable)
- Medical diagnosis of a disability condition
- “Nexus” for service connection either directly related to military service, secondary to another condition, or a presumptive disability, and
- Current symptoms of the condition that negatively affect your work, life, and/or social functioning
Official VA Disability Claim List by Body System and VA Diagnostic Code
In this Ultimate Guide to the list of VA disabilities, which is comprised of 900+ disability conditions, you’ll discover each eligible condition arranged by body system and diagnostic code (lowest to highest) from CFR Title 38, Part 4, the Schedule for Rating Disabilities.
- Official VA Disability Claim List by Body System and VA Diagnostic Code
- VA DISABILITIES OF THE MUSCULOSKELETAL SYSTEM
- What is the musculoskeletal system for VA rating purposes?
- Acute, Subacute, or Chronic Diseases
- Prosthetic Implants
- Combination of Disabilities
- Amputations: Upper Extremity
- Multiple Finger Amputations
- Amputations: Lower Extremity
- Shoulder and Arm
- Elbow and Forearm
- Limitation of Motion
- Hip and Thigh
- Knee and Leg
- Shortening of the Lower Extremity
- The Foot
- The Skull
- VA DISABILITY FOR MUSCLE INJURIES
- VA DISABILITIES OF THE EYE
- VA DISABILITIES OF THE EAR
- VA DISABILITIES OF OTHER SENSE ORGANS
- VA DISABILITY FOR INFECTIOUS DISEASES, IMMUNE DISORDERS AND NUTRITIONAL DEFICIENCIES
- VA DISABILITIES OF THE RESPIRATORY SYSTEM
- VA DISABILITIES OF THE CARDIOVASCULAR SYSTEM
- VA DISABILITIES OF THE DIGESTIVE SYSTEM
- VA DISABILITIES OF THE GENITOURINARY SYSTEM
- VA DISABILITY FOR GYNECOLOGICAL CONDITIONS AND DISORDERS OF THE BREAST
- VA DISABILITIES OF THE SKIN
- VA DISABILITIES OF THE ENDOCRINE SYSTEM
- VA DISABILITY FOR NEUROLOGICAL CONDITIONS AND CONVULSIVE DISORDERS
- VA DISABILITY FOR MENTAL DISORDERS
- VA DISABILITY FOR DENTAL AND ORAL CONDITIONS
- LIST OF VA ANALOGOUS CONDITIONS AND DIAGNOSTIC CODES
- EQUIVALENT VA DISABILITY CODES
- Ready to Get the VA Rating and Compensation YOU Deserve?
- About the Author
What is the musculoskeletal system for VA rating purposes?
Your musculoskeletal system includes your bones, cartilage, ligaments, tendons, and connective tissues. Your skeleton is the foundational structure for your muscles and other soft tissues. All these parts work together to support your body weight, maintain your posture, and help you move.
Below is a complete list of VA disabilities for the musculoskeletal system, listed in order by Diagnostic Code (DC) from CFR Title 38, Part 4, the Schedule for Rating Disabilities.
Acute, Subacute, or Chronic Diseases
5000 Osteomyelitis, acute, subacute, or chronic.
5001 Bones and Joints, tuberculosis.
5002 Multi-joint arthritis (except post-traumatic and gout), 2 or more joints, as an active process.
5003 Degenerative arthritis, other than post-traumatic.
5004 Arthritis, gonorrheal.
5005 Arthritis, pneumococcic.
5006 Arthritis, typhoid.
5007 Arthritis, syphilitic.
5008 Arthritis, streptococcic.
5009 Other specified forms of arthropathy (excluding gout).
5010 Post-traumatic arthritis.
5011 Decompression illness.
5012 Bones, neoplasm, malignant, primary or secondary.
5013 Osteoporosis, residuals of.
5014 Osteomalacia, residuals of.
5015 Bones, neoplasm, benign.
5016 Osteitis deformans.
5023 Heterotopic ossification.
5024 Tenosynovitis, tendinitis, tendinosis or tendinopathy.
5051 Shoulder replacement (prosthesis).
5052 Elbow replacement (prosthesis).
5053 Wrist replacement (prosthesis).
5054 Hip, resurfacing or replacement (prosthesis).
5055 Knee, resurfacing or replacement (prosthesis).
5056 Ankle replacement (prosthesis).
Combination of Disabilities
5104 Anatomical loss of one hand and loss of use of one foot.
5105 Anatomical loss of one foot and loss of use of one hand.
5106 Anatomical loss of both hands.
5107 Anatomical loss of both feet.
5108 Anatomical loss of one hand and one foot.
5109 Loss of use of both hands.
5110 Loss of use of both feet.
5111 Loss of use of one hand and one foot.
Amputations: Upper Extremity
Arm amputation of:
5120 Complete amputation, upper extremity.
5121 Above insertion of deltoid.
5122 Below insertion of deltoid.
Forearm amputation of:
5123 Above insertion of pronator teres.
5124 Below insertion of pronator teres.
5125 Hand, loss of use of.
Multiple Finger Amputations
5126 Five digits of one hand.
Four digits of one hand:
5127 Thumb, index, long and ring.
5128 Thumb, index, long and little.
5129 Thumb, index, ring and little.
5130 Thumb, long, ring and little.
5131 Index, long, ring and little.
Three digits of one hand:
5132 Thumb, index and long.
5133 Thumb, index and ring.
5134 Thumb, index and little.
5135 Thumb, long and ring.
5136 Thumb, long and little.
5137 Thumb, ring and little.
5138 Index, long and ring.
5139 Index, long and little.
5140 Index, ring and little.
5141 Long, ring and little.
Two digits of one hand:
5142 Thumb and index.
5143 Thumb and long.
5144 Thumb and ring.
5145 Thumb and little.
5146 Index and long.
5147 Index and ring.
5148 Index and little.
5149 Long and ring.
5150 Long and little.
5151 Ring and little.
5153 Index finger.
5154 Long finger.
5155 Ring finger.
5156 Little finger.
Amputations: Lower Extremity
Thigh amputation of:
5160 Complete amputation, lower extremity.
5161 Upper third.
5162 Middle or lower thirds.
Leg amputation of:
5163 With defective stump.
5164 Not improvable by prosthesis controlled by natural knee action.
5165 At a lower level, permitting prosthesis.
5166 Forefoot, proximal to metatarsal bones.
5167 Foot, loss of use of.
5170 Toes, all, amputation of, without metatarsal loss or transmetatarsal, amputation of, with up to half of metatarsal loss.
5171 Toe, great.
5172 Toes, other than great, with removal of metatarsal head.
5173 Toes, three or more, without metatarsal involvement.
Shoulder and Arm
5200 Scapulohumeral articulation, ankylosis.
5201 Arm, limitation of motion.
5202 Humerus, other impairment.
5203 Clavicle or scapula, impairment.
Elbow and Forearm
5205 Elbow, ankylosis.
5206 Forearm, limitation of flexion.
5207 Forearm, limitation of extension.
5208 Forearm, flexion limited.
5209 Elbow, other impairment.
5210 Radius and ulna, nonunion.
5211 Ulna, impairment.
5212 Radius, impairment.
5213 Supination and pronation, impairment.
5214 Wrist, ankylosis.
5215 Wrist, limitation of motion.
Limitation of Motion
Multiple Digits: Unfavorable Ankylosis:
5216 Five digits of one hand.
5217 Four digits of one hand.
5218 Three digits of one hand.
5219 Two digits of one hand.
Multiple Digits: Favorable Ankylosis:
5220 Five digits of one hand.
5221 Four digits of one hand.
5222 Three digits of one hand.
5223 Two digits of one hand.
Ankylosis of Individual Digits:
5225 Index finger.
5226 Long finger.
5227 Ring or little finger.
Limitation of Motion of Individual Digits:
5229 Index or long finger.
5230 Ring or little finger.
5235 Vertebral fracture or dislocation.
5236 Sacroiliac injury and weakness.
5237 Lumbosacral or cervical strain.
5238 Spinal stenosis.
5239 Spondylolisthesis or segmental instability.
5240 Ankylosing spondylitis.
5241 Spinal fusion.
5242 Degenerative arthritis, degenerative disc disease other than intervertebral disc syndrome (also, see either DC 5003 or 5010).
5243 Intervertebral disc syndrome.
5244 Traumatic paralysis, complete.
Hip and Thigh
5250 Hip, ankylosis.
5251 Thigh, limitation of extension.
5252 Thigh, limitation of flexion.
5253 Thigh, impairment.
5254 Hip, flail joint.
5255 Femur, impairment.
Knee and Leg
5256 Knee, ankylosis.
5257 Knee, other impairment.
5258 Cartilage, semilunar, dislocated.
5259 Cartilage, semilunar, removal.
5260 Leg, limitation of flexion.
5261 Leg, limitation of extension.
5262 Tibia and fibula, impairment.
5263 Genu recurvatum.
5270 Ankle, ankylosis.
5271 Ankle, limited motion.
5272 Subastragalar or tarsal joint, ankylosis.
5273 Os calcis or astragalus, malunion.
Shortening of the Lower Extremity
5275 Bones, of the lower extremity
5269 Plantar fasciitis.
5276 Flatfoot, acquired.
5277 Weak foot, bilateral.
5278 Claw foot (pes cavus), acquired.
5279 Metatarsalgia, anterior (Morton’s disease).
5280 Hallux valgus.
5281 Hallux rigidus.
5282 Hammer toe.
5283 Tarsal or metatarsal bones.
5284 Foot injuries, other.
5296 Loss of part of The Skull
5297 Removal of The Ribs
5298 Removal of The Coccyx
VA DISABILITY FOR MUSCLE INJURIES
What are muscle injuries for VA rating purposes?
For VA rating purposes, a muscle injury (strain) is an injury to a muscle or a tendon, which is the fibrous tissue that connects muscles to bones. Some injuries might just overstretch a muscle or tendon, while more severe injuries may involve partial or complete tears.
Shoulder Girdle and Arm
5301 Group I Function: Upward rotation of scapula.
5302 Group II Function: Depression of arm.
5303 Group III Function: Elevation and abduction of arm.
5304 Group IV Function: Stabilization of shoulder.
5305 Group V Function: Elbow supination.
5306 Group VI Function: Extension of elbow.
Forearm and Hand
5307 Group VII Function: Flexion of wrist and fingers.
5308 Group VIII Function: Extension of wrist, fingers, thumb.
5309 Group IX Function: Forearm muscles.
Foot and Leg
5310 Group X Function: Movement of forefoot and toes.
5311 Group XI Function: Propulsion of foot.
5312 Group XII Function: Dorsiflexion.
Pelvic Girdle and Thigh
5313 Group XIII Function: Extension of hip and flexion of knee.
5314 Group XIV Function: Extension of knee.
5315 Group XV Function: Adduction of hip.
5316 Group XVI Function: Flexion of hip.
5317 Group XVII Function: Extension of hip.
5318 Group XVIII Function: Outward rotation of thigh.
Torso and Neck
5319 Group XIX Function: Abdominal wall and lower thorax.
5320 Group XX Function: Postural support of body.
5321 Group XXI Function: Respiration.
5322 Group XXII Function: Rotary and forward movements, head.
5323 Group XXIII Function: Movements of head.
5324 Diaphragm, rupture.
5325 Muscle injury, facial muscles.
5326 Muscle hernia.
5327 Muscle, neoplasm of, malignant.
5328 Muscle, neoplasm of, benign.
5329 Sarcoma, soft tissue.
5330 Rhabdomyolysis, residuals of.
5331 Compartment syndrome.
What are eye disabilities for VA rating purposes?
Of the five main senses, eyesight is used and relied upon the most.
Your eye is the primary organ of the visual system because it takes what you see (e.g., faces, images, nature) and turns them into an electric signal, which moves from the optic nerve to the brain.
Once the signal reaches the visual cortex, it is “interpreted” by the brain so you can make sense of the environment.
Diseases of the Eye
6000 Choroidopathy, including uveitis, iritis, cyclitis, or choroiditis.
6006 Retinopathy or maculopathy not otherwise specified.
6007 Intraocular hemorrhage.
6008 Detachment of retina.
6009 Unhealed eye injury.
6010 Tuberculosis of eye.
6011 Retinal scars, atrophy, or irregularities.
6012 Angle-closure glaucoma.
6013 Open-angle glaucoma.
6014 Malignant neoplasms of the eye, orbit, and adnexa (excluding skin).
6015 Benign neoplasms of the eye, orbit, and adnexa (excluding skin).
6016 Nystagmus, central.
6017 Conjunctivitis, trachomatous, chronic.
6018 Conjunctivitis, other, chronic.
6019 Ptosis unilateral or bilateral.
6023 Eyebrows, loss.
6024 Eyelashes, loss.
6025 Disorders of the lacrimal apparatus (epiphora, dacrocystitis, etc.).
6026 Optic neuropathy.
6028 Cataract, senile, and others.
6030 Accommodation, paralysis.
6032 Eyelids, loss of portion.
6033 Lens, crystalline, dislocation.
6036 Status post corneal transplant.
6040 Diabetic retinopathy.
6042 Retinal dystrophy (including retinitis pigmentosa, wet or dry macular degeneration, early-onset macular degeneration, rod and/or cone dystrophy).
6046 Post-chiasmal disorders.
Impairment of Central Visual Acuity
6061 Anatomical loss both eyes.
6062 Blindness, both eyes, only light perception.
Anatomical loss of 1 eye:
6063 Other eye 5/200 (1.5/60).
6064 Other eye 10/200 (3/60).
6064 Other eye 15/200 (4.5/60).
6064 Other eye 20/200 (6/60).
6065 Other eye 20/100 (6/30).
6065 Other eye 20/70 (6/21).
6065 Other eye 20/50 (6/15).
6066 Other eye 20/40 (6/12).
Blindness in 1 eye, only light perception:
6067 Other eye 5/200 (1.5/60).
6068 Other eye 10/200 (3/60).
6068 Other eye 15/200 (4.5/60).
6068 Other eye 20/200 (6/60).
6069 Other eye 20/100 (6/30).
6069 Other eye 20/70 (6/21).
6069 Other eye 20/50 (6/15).
6070 Other eye 20/40 (6/12).
Vision in 1 eye 5/200 (1.5/60):
6071 Other eye 5/200 (1.5/60).
6072 Other eye 10/200 (3/60).
6072 Other eye 15/200 (4.5/60).
6072 Other eye 20/200 (6/60).
6073 Other eye 20/100 (6/30).
6073 Other eye 20/70 (6/21).
6073 Other eye 20/50 (6/15).
6074 Other eye 20/40 (6/12).
Vision in 1 eye 10/200 (3/60):
6075 Other eye 10/200 (3/60).
6075 Other eye 15/200 (4.5/60).
6075 Other eye 20/200 (6/60).
6076 Other eye 20/100 (6/30).
6076 Other eye 20/70 (6/21).
6076 Other eye 20/50 (6/15).
6077 Other eye 20/40 (6/12).
Vision in 1 eye 15/200 (4.5/60):
6075 Other eye 15/200 (4.5/60).
6075 Other eye 20/200 (6/60).
6076 Other eye 20/100 (6/30).
6076 Other eye 20/70 (6/21).
6076 Other eye 20/50 (6/15).
6077 Other eye 20/40 (6/12).
Vision in 1 eye 20/200 (6/60):
6075 Other eye 20/200 (6/60).
6076 Other eye 20/100 (6/30).
6076 Other eye 20/70 (6/21).
6076 Other eye 20/50 (6/15).
6077 Other eye 20/40 (6/12).
Vision in 1 eye 20/100 (6/30):
6078 Other eye 20/100 (6/30).
6078 Other eye 20/70 (6/21).
6078 Other eye 20/50 (6/15).
6079 Other eye 20/40 (6/12).
Vision in 1 eye 20/70 (6/21):
6078 Other eye 20/70 (6/21).
6078 Other eye 20/50 (6/15).
6079 Other eye 20/40 (6/12).
Vision in 1 eye 20/50 (6/15):
6078 Other eye 20/50 (6/15).
6079 Other eye 20/40 (6/12).
Impairment of Field Vision:
6080 Field vision, impairment.
Impairment of Muscle Function:
6092 Diplopia, limited muscle function.
What are ear disabilities for VA rating purposes?
The Ear is one of the most unique sensory organs in the human body. While the main function of the Ear is to control hearing (frequencies, decibals, tones, etc), it also controls the body’s balance. Because of this, the VA focuses the disability rating system for conditions of the Ears primarily on hearing loss, with additional rating options to cover conditions affecting balance, infections, ringing in the ear, etc.
6200 Chronic suppurative otitis media.
6201 Chronic nonsuppurative otitis media.
6204 Peripheral vestibular disorders.
6205 Meniere’s syndrome.
6207 Loss of auricle.
6208 Malignant neoplasm.
6209 Benign neoplasm.
6210 Chronic otitis externa.
6211 Tympanic membrane.
6260 Tinnitus, recurrent.
VA DISABILITIES OF OTHER SENSE ORGANS
6275 Smell, complete loss.
6276 Taste, complete loss.
What are Infectious Diseases, Immune Disorders, and Nutritional Deficiencies for VA rating purposes?
Infectious Diseases, Immune Disorders, and Nutritional Deficiencies can display a vast range of symptoms throughout the human body. Infectious Diseases can spread through various means, and include bacterial, parasitic, and viral infections whereas Immune Disorders are conditions that attack the immune system and make the body more susceptible to infection. Nutritional Deficiencies happen when the body is not getting enough nutrients, such as vitamins, minerals, etc.
6300 Vibriosis (Cholera, Non-cholera).
6301 Visceral Leishmaniasis.
6302 Leprosy (Hansen’s Disease).
6305 Lymphatic filariasis, to include elephantiasis.
6308 Relapsing fever.
6309 Rheumatic fever.
6311 Tuberculosis, miliary.
6312 Nontuberculosis mycobacterium infection.
6317 Rickettsial, ehrlichia, and anaplasma infections.
6319 Lyme disease.
6320 Parasitic diseases.
6325 Hyperinfection syndrome or disseminated strongyloidiasis.
6329 Hemorrhagic fevers, including dengue, yellow fever, and others.
6330 Campylobacter jejuni infection.
6331 Coxiella burnetii infection (Q Fever).
6333 Nontyphoid salmonella infections.
6334 Shigella infections.
6335 West Nile virus infection.
6350 Lupus erythematosus.
6351 HIV-Related Illness.
6354 Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS).
What is the Respiratory System for VA rating purposes?
The respiratory system is the body’s network of organs and tissues that help you breathe. It includes your airways, lungs, and blood vessels. The muscles that power your lungs are also part of the respiratory system. All parts of the respiratory system work together to send oxygen flow to the body and clean out harmful gases such as carbon dioxide.
Nose and Throat
6502 Septum, nasal, deviation.
6504 Nose, loss of part of, or scars.
6510 Sinusitis, pansinusitis, chronic.
6511 Sinusitis, ethmoid, chronic.
6512 Sinusitis, frontal, chronic.
6513 Sinusitis, maxillary, chronic.
6514 Sinusitis, sphenoid, chronic.
6515 Laryngitis, tuberculous.
6516 Laryngitis, chronic.
6518 Laryngectomy, total.
6519 Aphonia, complete organic.
6520 Larynx, stenosis of.
6521 Pharynx, injuries to.
6522 Allergic or vasomotor rhinitis.
6523 Bacterial rhinitis.
6524 Granulomatous rhinitis.
Trachea and Bronchi
6600 Bronchitis, chronic.
6602 Asthma, bronchial.
6603 Emphysema, pulmonary.
6604 Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.
Lungs and Pleura Tuberculosis
Ratings for Pulmonary Tuberculosis (Chronic) Entitled on August 19, 1968:
6701 Active, far advanced.
6702 Active, moderately advanced.
6703 Active, minimal.
6704 Active, advancement unspecified.
6721 Inactive, far advanced.
6722 Inactive, moderately advanced.
6723 Inactive, minimal.
6724 Inactive, advancement unspecified.
Ratings for Pulmonary Tuberculosis Initially Evaluated After August 19, 1968:
6730 Chronic, active.
6731 Chronic, inactive.
6732 Pleurisy, active or inactive.
6817 Pulmonary Vascular Disease.
6819 Neoplasms, malignant.
6820 Neoplasms, benign.
Bacterial Infections of the Lung
6824 Chronic lung abscess.
Interstitial Lung Disease
6825 Fibrosis of lung, diffuse interstitial.
6826 Desquamative interstitial pneumonitis.
6827 Pulmonary alveolar proteinosis.
6828 Eosinophilic granuloma.
6829 Drug-induced, pneumonitis & fibrosis.
6830 Radiation-induced, pneumonitis & fibrosis.
6831 Hypersensitivity pneumonitis.
Mycotic Lung Disease
Restrictive Lung Disease
6840 Diaphragm paralysis or paresis.
6841 Spinal cord injury with respiratory insufficiency.
6842 Kyphoscoliosis, pectus excavatum/carinatum.
6843 Traumatic chest wall defect.
6844 Post-surgical residual.
6845 Pleural effusion or fibrosis.
6847 Sleep Apnea Syndromes.
What is the Cardiovascular System for VA rating purposes?
The cardiovascular system includes the heart, blood vessels, and blood. Its main function is to move nutrients and oxygenated blood to all parts of the human body and to carry deoxygenated blood back to the lungs.
Diseases of the Heart
7000 Valvular heart disease.
7003 Pericardial adhesions.
7004 Syphilitic heart disease.
7005 Arteriosclerotic heart disease.
7006 Myocardial infarction.
7007 Hypertensive heart disease.
7008 Hyperthyroid heart disease.
7009 Bradycardia (Bradyarrhythmia), symptomatic, requiring permanent pacemaker implantation.
7010 Supraventricular tachycardia.
7011 Ventricular arrhythmias.
7015 Atrioventricular block.
7016 Heart valve replacement.
7017 Coronary bypass surgery.
7018 Implantable cardiac pacemakers.
7019 Cardiac transplantation.
Diseases of the Arteries and Veins
7101 Hypertensive vascular disease.
7110 Aortic aneurysm: ascending, thoracic, abdominal.
7111 Aneurysm, large artery.
7112 Aneurysm, small artery.
7113 Arteriovenous fistula, traumatic.
7114 Peripheral arterial disease.
7115 Thrombo-angiitis obliterans (Buerger’s Disease).
7117 Raynaud’s syndrome (secondary Raynaud’s phenomenon, secondary Raynaud’s).
7118 Angioneurotic edema.
7120 Varicose veins.
7121 Post-phlebitic syndrome.
7122 Cold injury residuals.
7123 Soft tissue sarcoma.
7124 Raynaud’s disease (primary Raynaud’s).
What is the Digestive System for VA rating purposes?
The digestive system is made up of the mouth, throat, esophagus, stomach, small intestine, large intestine, rectum, and anus. The digestive systme also includes the salivary glands, liver, gallbladder, and pancreas, which create digestive juices and enzymes that help the body digest various food and liquids.
7200 Mouth, injuries.
7201 Lips, injuries.
7202 Tongue, loss.
7203 Esophagus, stricture.
7204 Esophagus, spasm.
7205 Esophagus, diverticulum.
7301 Peritoneum, adhesions.
7304 Ulcer, gastric.
7305 Ulcer, duodenal.
7306 Ulcer, marginal.
7307 Gastritis, hypertrophic.
7308 Postgastrectomy syndromes.
7309 Stomach, stenosis.
7310 Stomach, injury of, residuals.
7311 Liver, injury of, residuals.
7312 Liver, cirrhosis.
7314 Cholecystitis, chronic.
7315 Cholelithiasis, chronic.
7316 Cholangitis, chronic.
7317 Gall bladder, injury.
7318 Gall bladder, removal.
7319 Colon, irritable syndrome.
7322 Dysentery, bacillary.
7323 Colitis, ulcerative.
7324 Distomiasis, intestinal or hepatic.
7325 Enteritis, chronic.
7326 Enterocolitis, chronic.
7328 Intestine, small, resection.
7329 Intestine, large, resection.
7330 Intestine, fistula.
7332 Rectum & anus, impairment.
7333 Rectum & anus, stricture.
7334 Rectum, prolapse.
7335 Ano, fistula in.
7337 Pruritus ani.
7338 Hernia, inguinal.
7339 Hernia, ventral, postoperative.
7340 Hernia, femoral.
7343 Neoplasms, malignant.
7344 Neoplasms, benign.
7345 Liver disease, chronic, without cirrhosis.
7346 Hernia, hiatal.
7351 Liver transplant.
7354 Hepatitis C.
What is the Genitourinary System for VA rating purposes?
The genitourinary system includes the organs of the reproductive system and the urinary system. They are grouped together because of their proximity to one other as well as their common embryological origin and the use of common pathways, such as the male reproductive system.
7500 Kidney, removal.
7501 Kidney, abscess.
7502 Nephritis, chronic.
7504 Pyelonephritis, chronic.
7505 Kidney, tuberculosis.
7507 Nephrosclerosis, arteriolar.
7511 Ureter, stricture.
7512 Cystitis, chronic.
7515 Bladder, calculus.
7516 Bladder, fistula.
7517 Bladder, injury.
7518 Urethra, stricture.
7519 Urethra, fistula.
7520 Penis, removal of half or more.
7521 Penis, removal of glans.
7522 Erectile dysfunction, with or without penile deformity.
7523 Testis, atrophy, complete.
7524 Testis, removal.
7525 Prostatitis, urethritis, epididymitis, orchitis (unilateral or bilateral), chronic only.
7527 Prostate gland injuries, infections, hypertrophy, postoperative residuals, bladder outlet obstruction.
7528 Malignant neoplasms.
7529 Benign neoplasms.
7530 Renal disease, chronic.
7531 Kidney transplant.
7532 Renal tubular disorders.
7533 Cystic diseases of the kidneys.
7534 Atherosclerotic renal disease (renal artery stenosis, atheroembolic renal disease, or large vessel disease, unspecified).
7535 Toxic nephropathy.
7537 Interstitial nephritis, including gouty nephropathy, disorders of calcium metabolism.
7538 Papillary necrosis.
7539 Renal amyloid disease.
7540 Disseminated intravascular coagulation.
7541 Renal involvement in diabetes mellitus type I or II.
7542 Neurogenic bladder.
7544 Renal disease caused by viral infection such as HIV, Hepatitis B, and Hepatitis C.
7545 Bladder, diverticulum of.
What are Gynecological Conditions and Disorders of the Breasts for VA rating purposes?
Gynecological Conditions and Disorders of the Breasts include the organs that can only be found in a female body and are used for sexual and reproductive purposes. It is made up of the breasts, uterus, ovaries, fallopian tubes, vulva, clitoris, vagina, and cervix.
7610 Vulva or clitoris, disease or injury of (including vulvovaginitis).
7611 Vagina, disease or injury.
7612 Cervix, disease or injury.
7613 Uterus, disease or injury.
7614 Fallopian tube, disease or injury.
7615 Ovary, disease or injury.
7617 Uterus and both ovaries, removal.
7618 Uterus, removal.
7619 Ovary, removal.
7620 Ovaries, atrophy of both.
7621 Complete or incomplete pelvic organ prolapse due to injury or disease or surgical complications of pregnancy.
7624 Fistula, rectovaginal.
7625 Fistula, urethrovaginal.
7626 Breast, surgery.
7627 Malignant neoplasms of gynecological system.
7628 Benign neoplasms of gynecological system.
7630 Malignant neoplasms of the breast.
7631 Benign neoplasms of the breast and other injuries of the breast.
7632 Female sexual arousal disorder (FSAD).
7702 Agranulocytosis, acquired.
7704 Polycythemia vera.
7705 Immune thrombocytopenia.
7707 Spleen, injury of, healed.
7709 Hodgkin’s lymphoma.
7710 Adenitis, tuberculous.
7712 Multiple myeloma
7714 Sickle cell anemia.
7715 Non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma.
7716 Aplastic anemia.
7717 AL amyloidosis (primary amyloidosis).
7718 Essential thrombocythemia and primary myelofibrosis.
7719 Chronic myelogenous leukemia (CML) (chronic myeloid leukemia or chronic granulocytic leukemia).
7720 Iron deficiency anemia.
7721 Folic acid deficiency.
7722 Pernicious anemia and Vitamin B12 deficiency anemia.
7723 Acquired hemolytic anemia.
7724 Solitary plasmacytoma.
7725 Myelodysplastic syndromes.
What are disabilities of the Skin for VA rating purposes?
The Skin is the largest of the body’s organs and its primary purpose is protection. Skin conditions for VA rating purposes can vary immensely in size and severity. VA disabilities of the Skin include burns, scars, eczema, infections, and cancers, among others.
7800 Burn scar(s) of the head, face, or neck; scar(s) of the head, face, or neck due to other causes; or other disfigurement of the head, face, or neck.
7801 Burn scar(s) or scar(s) due to other causes, not of the head, face, or neck that are associated with underlying soft tissue damage.
7802 Burn scar(s) or scar(s) due to other causes, not of the head, face, or neck that are not associated with underlying soft tissue damage.
7804 Scar(s), unstable or painful.
7805 Scars, other; and other effects of scars evaluated under diagnostic codes 7800, 7801, 7802, or 7804.
7806 Dermatitis or eczema.
7807 Leishmaniasis, American (New World).
7808 Leishmaniasis, Old World.
7809 Discoid lupus erythematosus.
7811 Tuberculosis luposa (lupus vulgaris).
7815 Bullous disorders.
7818 Malignant skin neoplasms.
7819 Benign skin neoplasms.
7820 Infections of the skin.
7821 Cutaneous manifestations of collagen-vascular diseases not listed elsewhere.
7822 Papulosquamous disorders not listed elsewhere.
7824 Keratinization, diseases.
7825 Chronic urticaria.
7826 Vasculitis, primary cutaneous.
7827 Erythema multiforme.
7830 Scarring alopecia.
7831 Alopecia areata.
7833 Malignant melanoma.
What are disabilities of the Endocrine System for VA rating purposes?
The Endocrine System is a vast network of glands that create hormones to help regulate the body. These hormones control the growth of new cells and metabolism. The Endocrine System is made up of the hypothalamus, thymus, pituitary gland, thyroid gland, parathyroid glands, adrenal glands, pineal gland, reproductive glands (ovaries or testes), and the pancreas. These parts all work together to keep the body in balance.
7900 Hyperthyroidism, including, but not limited to, Graves’ disease.
7901 Thyroid enlargement, toxic.
7902 Thyroid enlargement, nontoxic.
7907 Cushing’s syndrome.
7909 Diabetes insipidus.
7911 Addison’s disease (adrenocortical insufficiency).
7912 Polyglandular syndrome (multiple endocrine neoplasia, autoimmune polyglandular syndrome).
7913 Diabetes mellitus.
7914 Malignant neoplasm.
7915 Benign neoplasm.
7919 C-cell hyperplasia, thyroid.
What are Neurological Conditions and Convulsive Disorders for VA rating purposes?
VA disabilities for Neurological Conditions and Convulsive Disorders include conditions of the head, brain, spinal cord, nerves, and epilepsies. The nervous system is divided into two parts: the central nervous system, and the peripheral nervous system. The central nervous system consists of the brain, the spinal cord, and the cranial nerves. The peripheral nervous system is made up of all the nerves that travel from the spinal cord to the rest of the body.
Organic Diseases of the Central Nervous System
8000 Encephalitis, epidemic, chronic.
Brain, New Growth of
8004 Paralysis agitans.
8005 Bulbar palsy.
8007 Brain, vessels, embolism.
8008 Brain, vessels, thrombosis.
8009 Brain, vessels, hemorrhage.
8011 Poliomyelitis, anterior.
8013 Syphilis, cerebrospinal.
8014 Syphilis, meningovascular.
8015 Tabes dorsalis.
8017 Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis.
8018 Multiple sclerosis.
8019 Meningitis, cerebrospinal, epidemic.
8020 Brain, abscess.
Spinal Cord, New Growths
8023 Progressive muscular atrophy.
8025 Myasthenia gravis.
8045 Residuals of traumatic brain injury (TBI).
8046 Cerebral arteriosclerosis.
8103 Tic, convulsive.
8104 Paramyoclonus multiplex.
8105 Chorea, Sydenham’s.
8106 Chorea, Huntington’s.
8107 Athetosis, acquired.
The Cranial Nerves
8205 Fifth (trigeminal), paralysis.
8207 Seventh (facial), paralysis.
8209 Ninth (glossopharyngeal), paralysis.
8210 Tenth (pneumogastric, vagus), paralysis.
8211 Eleventh (spinal accessory, external branch), paralysis.
8212 Twelfth (hypoglossal), paralysis.
8305 Neuritis, fifth cranial nerve.
8307 Neuritis, seventh cranial nerve.
8309 Neuritis, ninth cranial nerve.
8310 Neuritis, tenth cranial nerve.
8311 Neuritis, eleventh cranial nerve.
8312 Neuritis, twelfth cranial nerve.
8405 Neuralgia, fifth cranial nerve.
8407 Neuralgia, seventh cranial nerve.
8409 Neuralgia, ninth cranial nerve.
8410 Neuralgia, tenth cranial nerve.
8411 Neuralgia, eleventh cranial nerve.
8412 Neuralgia, twelfth cranial nerve.
8510 Upper radicular group, paralysis.
8511 Middle radicular group, paralysis.
8512 Lower radicular group, paralysis.
8513 All radicular groups, paralysis.
8514 Musculospiral nerve (radial), paralysis.
8515 Median nerve, paralysis.
8516 Ulnar nerve, paralysis.
8517 Musculocutaneous nerve, paralysis.
8518 Circumflex nerve, paralysis.
8519 Long thoracic nerve, paralysis.
8520 Sciatic nerve, paralysis.
8521 External popliteal nerve (common peroneal), paralysis.
8522 Musculocutaneous nerve (superficial peroneal), paralysis.
8523 Anterior tibial nerve (deep peroneal), paralysis.
8524 Internal popliteal nerve (tibial), paralysis.
8525 Posterior tibial nerve, paralysis.
8526 Anterior crural nerve (femoral), paralysis.
8527 Internal saphenous nerve, paralysis.
8528 Obturator nerve, paralysis.
8529 External cutaneous nerve of thigh, paralysis.
8530 Ilio-inguinal nerve, paralysis.
8540 Soft-tissue sarcoma (Neurogenic origin).
8610 Neuritis, upper radicular group.
8611 Neuritis, middle radicular group.
8612 Neuritis, lower radicular group.
8613 Neuritis, all radicular group.
8614 Neuritis, musculospiral (radial) nerve.
8615 Neuritis, median nerve.
8616 Neuritis, ulnar nerve.
8617 Neuritis, musculocutaneous nerve.
8618 Neuritis, circumflex nerve.
8619 Neuritis, long thoracic nerve.
8620 Neuritis, sciatic nerve.
8621 Neuritis, external popliteal (common peroneal) nerve.
8622 Neuritis, musculocutaneous (superficial peroneal) nerve.
8623 Neuritis, anterior tibial (deep peroneal) nerve.
8624 Neuritis, internal popliteal (tibial) nerve.
8625 Neuritis, posterior tibial nerve.
8626 Neuritis, anterior crural (femoral) nerve.
8627 Neuritis, internal saphenous nerve.
8628 Neuritis, obturator nerve.
8629 Neuritis, external cutaneous nerve of thigh.
8630 Neuritis, ilio-inguinal nerve.
8710 Neuralgia, upper radicular group.
8711 Neuralgia, middle radicular group.
8712 Neuralgia, lower radicular group.
8713 Neuralgia, all radicular groups.
8714 Neuralgia, musculospiral nerve (radial).
8715 Neuralgia, median nerve.
8716 Neuralgia, ulnar nerve.
8717 Neuralgia, musculocutaneous nerve.
8718 Neuralgia, circumflex nerve.
8719 Neuralgia, long thoracic nerve.
8720 Neuralgia, sciatic nerve.
8721 Neuralgia, external popliteal nerve (common peroneal).
8722 Neuralgia, musculocutaneous nerve (superficial peroneal).
8723 Neuralgia, anterior tibial nerve (deep peroneal).
8724 Neuralgia, internal popliteal nerve (tibial).
8725 Neuralgia, posterior tibial nerve.
8726 Neuralgia, anterior crural nerve (femoral).
8727 Neuralgia, internal saphenous nerve.
8728 Neuralgia, obturator nerve.
8729 Neuralgia, external cutaneous nerve of thigh.
8730 Neuralgia, ilio-inguinal nerve.
8910 Grand mal.
8911 Petit mal.
8912 Jacksonian and focal motor or sensory.
What are Mental Disorders for VA rating purposes?
For VA rating purposes, “Mental Disorders” refer to mental health conditions, and include 31 primary disorders that affect your mood, thinking, and behavior. Some examples of mental illness include PTSD, adjustment disorder, major depressive disorder, anxiety disorders, schizophrenia, and eating disorders among others.
9208 Delusional disorder.
9210 Other specified and unspecified schizophrenia spectrum and other psychotic disorders.
9211 Schizoaffective Disorder.
9301 Major or mild neurocognitive disorder due to HIV or other infections.
9304 Major or mild neurocognitive disorder due to traumatic brain injury.
9305 Major or mild vascular neurocognitive disorder.
9310 Unspecified neurocognitive disorder.
9312 Major or mild neurocognitive disorder due to Alzheimer’s disease.
9326 Major or mild neurocognitive disorder due to another medical condition or substance/medication-induced major or mild neurocognitive disorder.
9400 Generalized anxiety disorder.
9403 Specific phobia; social anxiety disorder (social phobia).
9404 Obsessive compulsive disorder.
9410 Other specified anxiety disorder.
9411 Posttraumatic stress disorder.
9412 Panic disorder and/or agoraphobia.
9413 Unspecified anxiety disorder.
9416 Dissociative amnesia; dissociative identity disorder.
9417 Depersonalization/derealization disorder.
9421 Somatic symptom disorder.
9422 Other specified somatic symptom and related disorder.
9423 Unspecified somatic symptom and related disorder.
9424 Conversion disorder (functional neurological symptom disorder).
9425 Illness anxiety disorder.
9431 Cyclothymic disorder.
9432 Bipolar disorder.
9433 Persistent depressive disorder (dysthymia).
9434 Major depressive disorder.
9435 Unspecified depressive disorder.
9440 Chronic adjustment disorder.
9520 Anorexia nervosa.
9521 Bulimia nervosa.
What are Dental and Oral Conditions for VA rating purposes?
VA disabilities for Dental and Oral Conditions are those that affect the Mouth and Teeth to include the jaws, the jaw joint, the palates, and the teeth.
9900 Maxilla or mandible, chronic osteomyelitis, osteonecrosis, or osteoradionecrosis of.
9901 Mandible, loss of, complete.
9902 Mandible loss of, including ramus, unilaterally or bilaterally.
9903 Mandible, nonunion of, confirmed by diagnostic imaging studies.
9904 Mandible, malunion.
9905 Temporomandibular disorder (TMD).
9908 Condyloid process.
9909 Coronoid process.
9911 Hard palate, loss of.
9913 Teeth, loss of.
9914 Maxilla, loss of more than half.
9915 Maxilla, loss of half or less.
9916 Maxilla, malunion or nonunion of.
9917 Neoplasm, hard and soft tissue, benign.
9918 Neoplasm, hard and soft tissue, malignant.
LIST OF VA ANALOGOUS CONDITIONS AND DIAGNOSTIC CODES
What is an “Analogous” VA disability?
The Analogous diagnostic codes are used by the VA when a diagnosed condition is not directly listed in CFR Title 38, Part 4, the Schedule for Rating Disabilities. Conditions that are NOT in the general schedule can be rated “analogously” with a condition that IS. “Analogous” means the condition that is closest to the ratable condition that best describes the primary symptoms. For example, post concussive headaches are not listed in the general schedule, only migraine headaches. However, if you have post concussive headaches that are severe enough to be eligible for a VA rating, then they can be rated under Diagnostic Code 8100 for migraine headaches, since that is the diagnostic code that is closest to your condition with similar symptoms.
- Achalasia is a condition that limits the esophagus’ ability to move food down to the stomach. It is rated under code 7203, stricture of the esophagus.
- Acromioclavicular separation (a.k.a. AC separation, separated shoulder) is an injury where the clavicle is separated from the scapula. It may be rated under code 5003, degenerative arthritis, or 5010, traumatic arthritis, if the minimum requirements for rating under code 5201, limited motion of the shoulder, are not met.
- Aphasia is a condition of the brain where you are unable to understand and process language. If it is caused by an injury to the head, it is not rated analogously, but is rated as a part of a traumatic brain injury (TBI) rating. If it is caused by an illness or other condition, it is rated under code 9326, neurocognitive disorder.
- Aphonia is the inability to make vocal sounds. If it is caused by nerve damage, rate it under the affected nerve. These can be found on The Cranial Nerves page. If there is no definitive physical cause, but is instead caused by a mental disorder, it is rated under code 9424, conversion disorder.
- Arnold-Chiari malformation syndrome is a condition where the brain is malformed, disrupting the flow of cerebrospinal fluid. It is rated under code 8003, benign brain growth.
- Arteriovenous malformation is a condition where abnormal connections between the arteries and veins form. If it occurs in the vessels feeding the brain, it is rated under code 8009, hemorrhage of the brain vessels.
- Artery stenosis occurs when an artery narrows, causing low or blocked blood flow to various parts of the body. Its rating code depends on the location of the narrowed artery. Vertebral artery stenosis, narrowing of the arteries in the neck, is rated under code 8008, thrombosis of the brain vessels. Renal artery stenosis, narrowing of the arteries of the kidneys, is rated under code 7534, atherosclerotic renal disease. For all other artery stenoses, rate them under the code that best describes the symptoms for the system it affects.
- Aseptic meningitis is a type of meningitis infection around the brain. It is rated under code 8019, cerebrospinal meningitis.
- Atopic dermatitis is a skin condition that causes scaly rashes. It is rated under code 7806, dermatitis.
- Avascular necrosis of the femoral head is a condition where the flow of blood is blocked, causing the bone to die. It is rated under code 5003, degenerative arthritis.
- Barrett’s Esophagus is a condition where abnormal cells form in the lower part of the esophagus. It is rated under code 7203, stricture of the esophagus.
- Behcet’s Syndrome is a condition that causes the blood vessels to become irritated and swell. Symptoms can involve the eyes, joints, mouth, skin and reproductive organs. It is rated under the appropriate code for the symptoms. For example, if the main symptom was joint pain, it would be coded 5002, systemic arthritis.
- Blepharospasm is a condition where the eye twitches uncontrollably. It is rated under code 8103, convulsive tic.
- Carpal tunnel is a condition where the median nerve gets pinched as it passes through the wrist into the hand. It is rated under the codes for the median nerve.
- Celiac disease (sprue) is a condition where the lining of the small intestine is damaged by eating gluten. It is rated under code 7319, irritable colon syndrome.
- Cerebral aneurysm occurs when there is a weak spot in the wall of a blood vessel in the brain. This weak spot bulges out and pushes against the brain tissues. It can be rated under code 7112, small artery aneurysm.
- Cerebellar degenerative disease is a disease that causes the neurons in the brain that control coordination and balance to die. It is rated under code 8014, meningovascular syphilis.
- Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease is an inherited condition that affects the peripheral nerves. It is rated under code 8023, progressive muscular atrophy.
- Chest pain that is not caused by another condition is rated under code 5321, muscles of respiration.
- Chondromalacia patella occurs when the tissue below the kneecap is irritated and causes pain. It is rated under code 5014, osteomalacia.
- Chronic renal failure (a.k.a. chronic kidney disease, chronic renal insufficiency) is a condition where the kidneys fail to properly filter waste from the blood. It is rated under code 7502, chronic nephritis.
- Cluster headaches are severe pain in only one half of the head at a time. If it is caused by traumatic brain injury, it can be rated under code 8045, residuals of TBI. If it is not, it can be rated under code 8100, migraine headaches.
- Colostomy is a surgical procedure that routes the end of the colon through the abdominal wall. It is rated under code 7333, stricture of the rectum and anus.
- Complex regional pain syndrome (a.k.a. reflex sympathetic dystrophy) is a nerve condition where severe pain, changes in skin color, and swelling occur. It can affect any area of the body, but is most commonly seen affecting the arms or legs. It is rated as neuralgia under the nerve that is most affected. Please see The Central Nervous System page and the corresponding linked nerve pages for all nerve ratings.
- Any Connective tissue disease which mainly affects the joints and is not rated elsewhere can be rated under code 5002, systemic arthritis. If it affects the entire body, it is rated under code 6350, lupus.
- A coronary artery stent is a tube that is surgically placed in the arteries of the heart to keep them from collapsing. It is rated under code 7017, coronary bypass surgery.
- Costochondritis is chest pain caused by the inflammation of the tissues that line the ribs. This condition normally only lasts for a very short time and so is not ratable. If it is Chronic, however, it can be rated under code 5321, muscles of respiration.
- Crohn’s disease (a.k.a. granulomatous colitis) is a condition that causes the bowels to become irritated and swell. It is rated under code 7323, ulcerative colitis.
- Cubital tunnel is a condition where the ulnar nerve gets pinched as it passes through the elbow into the forearm. It is rated under the codes for the ulnar nerve.
- Demyelinating disease is a condition of the nerves that disrupts their communication. It is rated under code 8018, multiple sclerosis.
- Diverticular disease (a.k.a. diverticulosis) is a condition where pockets form in the walls of the colon. It is rated under code 7319, irritable colon syndrome.
- Dupuytren’s contracture is a condition where the tissues beneath the skin of the palm of the hand thicken abnormally, causing the tissues to tighten and restrict the movement of the hand. It is rated under code 5223, the freezing of two fingers of one hand.
- Dysarthria is a condition where speech is impossible because the nerve that controls the muscles used to speak is damaged. It is rated under code 8212, the hypoglossal nerve.
- Dysmenorrhea is a female condition that causes severe pain during menstruation. It is rated under code 7613, diseases of the uterus.
- Encephalopathy is a catch-all term for conditions of the brain. If the brain condition was caused by a traumatic injury and is not addressed on the Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) page, it can be rated under code 9304, dementia due to head trauma.
- Fatigue is usually a symptom of a disease and is seldom rated on its own. If it is not caused by another condition, it can be rated under code 6354, chronic fatigue syndrome.
- Folliculitis is a skin condition where the hair follicles swell and produce a bumpy rash. It is rated under code 7806, dermatitis.
- Fugue is a type of Dissociative Disorder. It is basically amnesia that lasts for only a few hours up to a few days but can occur repeatedly. It is rated under code 9416, dissociative amnesia.
- A Ganglion cyst is a hard fluid-filled lump in the joints, most commonly the wrist. It is rated under code 5021, myositis.
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) is a condition where the acid in the stomach travels up the esophagus. It is rated under code 7346, hiatal hernia.
- Goodpasture’s Syndrome is a condition where the immune system attacks the kidneys and lungs. It is rated either under a code for the kidneys or a code for the lungs, whichever best describes the overall condition and its symptoms.
- Graft-vs-Host disease is a condition that can develop after a tissue graft or transplant, where the body rejects the new tissues. It is rated on whatever code best describes its main symptoms. So, if it was a kidney transplant, the most appropriate code would be a kidney code or a code that best describes the symptoms caused by kidney failure.
- Guillain-Barre Syndrome is a condition where the immune system attacks the nerves. It is rated under code 8011, poliomyelitis.
- Headaches that are severe enough to rate can be rated under code 8100, migraine headaches. If the headaches are caused by a mental disorder, they are rated under code 9422, pain disorder.
- Hemophilia is a condition where it takes a long time for the blood to clot. It is rated under code 7705, thrombocytopenia.
- Herpes, although rarely severe enough to be given a rating, would be rated under code 7820, unspecified skin infection.
- Hidradenitis is a condition that causes the sweat glands to swell. It is rated under code 7806, dermatitis.
- Horner’s syndrome is an eye condition that causes the pupil to constrict and the eyelid to droop. It is rated under code 6019, ptosis.
- Hypercoagulable state is a condition where the blood does not clot properly. It is rated under code 7121, post-phlebitic syndrome.
- Hyperlipidemia is a condition where there are high levels of cholesterol in the blood. It usually doesn’t cause any symptoms, and is thus not ratable. If, however, it causes heart disease, it is rated under code 7005, arteriosclerotic heart disease.
- Hypersomnia is a condition where you are excessively tired during the day. It is rated under code 8108, narcolepsy.
- Hypogammaglobulinemia is a condition where there is a decrease in gamma globulins, which causes the body’s immune system to not properly function. It could be rated in numerous ways depending on the types of symptoms present. We feel that it will most likely be rated as Agranulocytosis, code 7702, but this may not always be the case.
- Hypogonadism is a condition where the testicles in men or ovaries in women do not produce enough testosterone or estrogen, respectively. This condition can only be rated if both testicles or both ovaries are completely non-functional. If the ovaries are non-functional, then it is rated under code 7620. If the testicles are non-functional, it is rated under code 7523.
- Ileostomy is a surgical procedure that routes the end of the small intestine through the abdominal wall. It is rated under code 7333, stricture of the rectum and anus.
- Legg-Perthes Disease (a.k.a. Legg-Calve-Perthes Syndrome) is a condition of the hip where the hip joint becomes deformed either because of new bone growth or bone loss. It is rated under code 5003, degenerative arthritis.
- Lymphedema is a condition where the lymph vessels that drain fluid from the tissues is blocked. It is rated under code 7121, post-phlebitic syndrome.
- Meningeal adhesions are patches of scar tissue that develop around the brain after a head injury. They are rated under the Traumatic Brain Injury rating system. Through that rating system, it is then rated under code 8019.
- Multiple myeloma is cancer which develops in bone marrow. It is rated under code 7709, Hodgkin’s disease, or code 7703, leukemia.
- Myofascial pain syndrome is a condition where pain is felt in one part of the body when pressure points are triggered in another, unrelated part. It is rated under code 5021, myositis.
- Myofasciitis is a condition where muscle tissues are damaged. It is rated under code 5021, myositis.
- Myotonic dystrophy is a progressive disease that affects numerous functions of the body. It is rated under code 8023, progressive muscular atrophy.
- Necrotizing fasciitis (a.k.a. strep fasciitis) is commonly known as flesh-eating bacteria. It is a bacterial infection that breaks down tissue cells. After the infection is treated, it is then rated on any lasting symptoms.
- Nephrotic syndrome is a condition where the kidneys are damaged. It is rated under code 7502, chronic nephritis.
- Nyctalopia is a decrease in night vision. It is not ratable in and of itself. If there is also a decrease in normal vision, however, then that can be rated under the Visual Impairment Rating System.
- Osgood-Schlatter’s Disease is a condition where the knob at the top of the tibia just below the knee swells. It is rated under code 5262, impairment of the tibia.
- Osteochondritis dissecans is a condition where cracks appear in the tip of the bones in the joints and their surrounding cartilage. It is rated under code 5003, degenerative arthritis.
- Pain disorder is a mental disorder where the person feels intense pain in numerous locations in the body without a physical medical cause. The pain is real and can be debilitating. It is rated under code 9422, other somatic symptoms.
- Pancytopenia is a condition that interferes with the creation of red and white blood cells and platelets. It is rated under code 7702, agranulocytosis.
- Parkinsonism is a nervous condition that causes tremors or difficulty moving various body parts. It is similar to Parkinson’s Disease, but it does not get worse over time. It is, however, still rated as Parkinson’s Disease, code 8004.
- Patellofemoral Syndrome (a.k.a. retropatellar syndrome) is a generic term for conditions that cause pain in the center of the knee below the kneecap. If the specific condition is not listed in the VASRD, then it can be rated under code 5261, limited motion of the leg.
- Pelvic adhesive disease is a condition most commonly found in females. It causes the reproductive organs to stick together. It is rated under the organ that is most affected. If the ovaries, it is rated under code 7615, conditions of the ovaries. If the uterus, it is rated under code 7618, removal of the uterus. If both, it is rated under code 7617, removal of the uterus and ovaries.
- Pelvic fracture is a condition where the pelvic bone is broken. It is rated under code 5236, sacroiliac injury.
- Pelvic pain in females is often caused by a dysfunction of some sort in the reproductive organs. When the exact cause is unknown, it is rated under code 7629, endometriosis.
- Peyronie’s disease is a condition that causes a bend in an erect penis. It is rated under code 7522, deformity of the penis.
- Pilonidal cyst is a cavity filled with hair that mostly occurs near the coccyx, but can occur other places as well. The cavity frequently gets infected and requires antibiotics or surgery. It is rated under code 7820, infections of the skin.
- Pituitary Adenoma is a tumor that develops in the pituitary gland. It is rated under one of three possible codes. If it causes the pituitary gland to produce too many hormones, it is rated under code 7916, Hyperpituitarism. If it causes the pituitary gland to produce only too many ACTH hormones, it is rated under code 7907, Cushing’s Syndrome. If it does not cause the overproduction of hormones, then it is rated under code 7915, tumor of the Endocrine System.
- Primary lateral sclerosis is a disease that causes serious muscle weakness that gets worse over time. It is rated under code 8017, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis.
- Pseudofolliculitis barbae is a skin condition where the hair follicles swell and produce a bumpy rash. It is rated under code 7806, dermatitis.
- Reactive airway disease is a term used to describe trouble breathing and wheezing caused by a specific irritant, like an allergy. It is usually easily treated and thus not ratable. If ratable, however, it is rated under code 6602, asthma.
- Reiter’s Syndrome is a condition where arthritis develops because of a bacterial infection. It is rated under code 5002, systemic arthritis.
- Restless leg syndrome is a nerve condition where the legs must be constantly moved to avoid pain or tingling. It is rated under code 8103, convulsive tic or 8620, sciatic nerve.
- The Rotator cuff is the group of muscles and tissues which move the arm at the shoulder. Any rotator cuff injury is rated under code 5304, shoulder muscles.
- Scalenus anticus syndrome is a condition where the blood vessels and nerves in the shoulder are pinched or irritated. It is rated under code 8512, the lower radicular nerve group.
- Scheuermann’s disease (a.k.a. kyphosis) is a condition where the spine does not develop properly, curves or twists, and causes a hunchback or other abnormal postures. It is rated under code 5239, spondylolisthesis.
- Schizophreniform disorder is a mental condition where the majority of the symptoms of schizophrenia are present for at least 1 month, but not the entire 6 months needed to diagnose schizophrenia. This is a difficult condition to rate, since the symptoms normally resolve after a short period of time. If the symptoms are currently active, it can be rated under code 9201, schizophrenia.
- Sclerosing cholangitis is a condition where the bile ducts of the liver swell and scar. It is rated under code 7312, cirrhosis of the liver.
- Scoliosis is a condition where the spine curves to the side. It is rated under code 5239, spondylolisthesis.
- Shin splints are tiny fractures in the tibia (“shinbone”). They are rated under code 5262, impairment of the tibia.
- Sjogren’s Syndrome is an autoimmune condition where the glands that produce tears and saliva are destroyed. It is most commonly caused by rheumatoid arthritis, and so is rated under code 5002, systemic arthritis. It can, however, be rated on symptoms it causes in the eyes or throat if these symptoms are fairly severe.
- Stargardt’s disease is an eye condition that causes progressive vision loss. It is rated under code 6006, retinopathy.
- Superior vena cava syndrome (SVC) is a condition where the superior vena cava vein that takes blood to the heart narrows or is blocked. It is rated under code 7121, post-phlebitic syndrome.
- Syncope (fainting) is most commonly a symptom of another disease. If this is the case, rate only the underlying condition. For example, if it is caused by a seizure condition, then it is rated under code 8911, epilepsy. If it is caused by cranial nerve damage, it is rated under code 8210, tenth cranial nerve. If it is caused by Narcolepsy, then it is rated under code 8108, narcolepsy.
- Tarsal tunnel is a condition where the posterior tibial nerve gets pinched as it passes through the ankle into the foot. It is rated under the codes for the posterior tibial nerve.
- Temporomandibular Joint Disfunction (TMJ) is a condition where the jaw joint becomes irritated and painful. It is rated under code 9905, limited motion of the jaw.
- Thoracic Outlet Syndrome is a condition where the nerves at the thoracic outlet (in the neck) are compressed, causing numbness, pain, and tingling in the arms. It is rated under code 8513, all radicular nerve groups.
- Tic douloureux is a condition where there are sharp pains in the face because of damage to the trigeminal nerve. It is rated under one of the trigeminal nerve codes.
- Torticollis is a condition where the spine in the neck is twisted, causing the head to twist abnormally. It is rated under code 5237, cervical strain.
- Tourette’s Syndrome is a condition with muscle and vocal tics (twitches). It is rated under code 8103, convulsive tic. This condition normally develops in childhood, and so may not be ratable since it may be considered EPTS.
- Toxic epidermal necrolysis (TENS) is a rare, life-threatening skin condition that is usually caused by a reaction to drugs. It is rated under code 7827, erythema multiforme.
- Toxoplasmosis is a parasitic infection. It is rated under code 8000, encephalitis.
- Tremor (essential, familial, or benign) is the involuntary shaking of part of the body. It is usually rated under code 8105, Sydenham’s Chorea, but can also be rated under code 8103, convulsive tic—whichever best describes the overall condition.
- Tropical sprue is a condition of the intestines that keep them from absorbing all the necessary nutrients from food. It affects people who live in tropical environments. It is rated under code 7323, ulcerative colitis.
- Vestibulopathy is a condition of the ears that affects the ability to hear. It is rated under code 6204, peripheral vestibular disorder.
EQUIVALENT VA DISABILITY CODES
What is an “Equivalent” VA disability?
An “Equivalent” VA disability is a general term for conditions that have multiple names. Listed below are some of the most common conditions that go by other names.
- Adrenal cortical hypofunction is the same as Addison’s disease, code 7911.
- Aminoaciduria is a renal tubular disorder, code 7532.
- Anaphylaxis is the same as angioneurotic edema, code 7118.
- Angioedema is the same as angioneurotic edema, code 7118.
- Anthracosis is the same as pneumoconiosis, code 6832.
- Antheroembolic renal disease is the same as atherosclerotic renal disease, code 7534.
- Atherosclerotic heart disease is the same as arteriosclerotic heart disease, code 7005.
- Bartter’s syndrome is a renal tubular disorder, code 7532.
- Benign chronic familial pemphigus is a type of bullous disorder, code 7815.
- Birmingham Hip Resurfacing is a type of hip replacement surgery, code 5054.
- Buerger’s Disease is the same as thrombo-angiitis obliterans, code 7115.
- Bullous pemphigoid is a type of bullous disorder, code 7815.
- Calcinosis cutis is a type of collagen-vascular disease, code 7821.
- Cardiospasms are the same as spasms of the esophagus, code 7204.
- Choroidal nevus is a type of benign neoplasm of the eye, code 6015.
- Choroiditis is a form of choroidopathy, code 6000.
- Coronary artery disease (CAD) is the same as arteriosclerotic heart disease, code 7005.
- Cyclitis is a form of choroidopathy, code 6000.
- Dacryocystitis is a disorder of the lacrimal apparatus, code 6025.
- Darier’s disease (DAR) is a disease of keratinization, code 7824.
- De Quervain’s Disease is a type of tenosynovitis, code 5024.
- Dementia is a type of neurocognitive disorder, codes 9301–9310.
- Dermatitis herpetiformis is a type of bullous disorder, code 7815.
- Dermatomyositis is a type of collagen-vascular disease, code 7821.
- Devergie’s disease is a type of papulosquamous disorder, code 7822.
- Discoid lupus erythematosus is a type of lupus, code 7809.
- Dyskeratosis follicularis is a disease of keratinization, code 7824.
- Dysthymia is the same as persistent depressive disorder, code 9433.
- Endolymphatic hydrops is the same as Meniere’s syndrome, code 6205.
- Epidermolysis bullos acquisita is a type of bullous disorder, code 7815.
- Epididymitis is the same as epididymo-orchitis, code 7525.
- Epiphora is a disorder of the lacrimal apparatus, code 6025.
- Erythroderma is the same as exfoliative dermatitis, code 7817.
- Espundia is the same as New World leishmaniasis, code 7807.
- Extrinsic allergic alveolitis is the same as hypersensitivity pneumonitis, code 6831.
- False flail joint is a type of humerus impairment, code 5202.
- Fanconi’s syndrome is a renal tubular disorder, code 7532.
- Fibrosing alveolitis is the same as diffuse interstitial fibrosis, code 6825.
- Fibrositis is a type of fibromyalgia, code 5025.
- Flail shoulder is a type of humerus impairment, code 5202.
- Gastrojejunal ulcer is the same as marginal ulcer, code 7306.
- Hailey-Hailey is a type of bullous disorder, code 7815.
- Hansen’s Diseases is the same as leprosy, code 6302.
- Hydrocele is a type of cystitis, code 7512.
- Hypertensive vascular disease is the same as hypertension, code 7101.
- Hypertropic arthritis is a type of degenerative arthritis, code 5003.
- Hypochondriasis is a type of illness anxiety disorder, code 9425.
- Ichthyoses is a disease of keratinization, code 7824.
- Incontinence can be both fecal and urinary. Urinary incontinence is rated as cystitis, code 7512. Fecal incontinence is as impairment of the rectum and anus, code 7332.
- Infrapatellar Bursitis is rated as bursitis, code 5019.
- Interstitial pneumonitis is the same as diffuse interstitial fibrosis, code 6825.
- Iritis is a form of choroidopathy, code 6000.
- Irritable bowel syndrome is the same as irritable colon syndrome, code 7319.
- Ischemic heart disease is the same as coronary artery disease, code 7005.
- Isolated systolic hypertension is the same as hypertension, code 7101.
- Jock itch is the same as dermatophytosis, code 7813.
- Keratoconjunctivitis is a type of conjunctivitis, code 6018.
- Lichen planus is a type of papulosquamous disorder, code 7822.
- Lichen ruber acuminatus is a type of papulosquamous disorder, code 7822.
- Lou Gherig’s Disease is the same as amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), code 8017.
- Lupus vulgaris is the same as tuberculosis luposa, code 7811.
- Lymphomatoid papulosus is a type of papulosquamous disorder, code 7822.
- Medullary sponge kidney is a cystic disease of the kidneys, code 7533.
- Metatarsalgia is the same as Morton’s disease, code 5279.
- Mucha-Habermann disease is a type of papulosquamous disorder, code 7822.
- Mucous colitis is the same as irritable colon syndrome, code 7319.
- Nephronophthisis is a cystic disease of the kidneys, code 7533.
- Olecranon Bursitis is rated as bursitis, code 5019.
- Oriental sore is the same as Old World leishmaniasis, code 7808.
- Osteoarthritis is a type of degenerative arthritis, code 5003.
- Paget’s disease is the same as osteitis deformans, code 5016.
- Palmoplantar keratoderma is a disease of keratinization, code 7824.
- Paralysis agitans is the same as Parkinson’s disease, code 8004.
- Parapsoriasis acuta is a type of papulosquamous disorder, code 7822.
- Pelvic inflammatory disease (PID) is a disease of the fallopian tubes, code 7614.
- Pemphigus foliaceous is a type of bullous disorder, code 7815.
- Pemphigus vulgaris is a type of bullous disorder, code 7815.
- Peripheral vascular disease is the hardening of the arteries. It can cause heart disease, strokes, high blood pressure, and decreased blood flow to the extremities called arteriosclerosis obliterans, code 7114.
- Pes cavus is the same as claw foot, code 5278.
- Pes planus is the same as flatfoot, code 5276.
- Plaque parapsoriasis is a type of papulosquamous disorder, code 7822.
- Pityriasis lichenoides et varioliformis acuta (PLEVA) is a type of papulosquamous disorder, code 7822.
- Pityriasis rubra pilaris (PRP) is a type of papulosquamous disorder, code 7822.
- Polycystic kidney disease is a cystic disease of the kidneys, code 7533.
- Porphyri cutanea tarda is a type of bullous disorder, code 7815.
- Primary fibromyalgia syndrome is a type of fibromyalgia, code 5025.
- Prostatitis is a prostate gland condition, code 7527.
- Quadrantanopsia is the same as scotoma, code 6081.
- Renal artery stenosis is the same as atherosclerotic renal disease, code 7534.
- Renal glycosuria is a renal tubular disorder, code 7532.
- Renal tubular acidosis is a renal tubular disorder, code 7532.
- Rhinosinusitis is the same as sinusitis, code 6510.
- Ringworm is the same as dermatophytosis, code 7813.
- Scleroderma is a type of collagen-vascular disease, code 7821.
- Serous otitis media is the same as chronic nonsuppurative otitis media with effusion, code 6201.
- Silicosis is a type of pneumoconiosis, code 6832.
- Spastic colitis is the same as irritable colon syndrome, code 7319.
- Subacute cutaneous lupus erythematosus is the same as lupus, code 7809.
- Supraventricular tachycardia (SVT) is a type of supraventricular arrhythmia, code 7010.
- Tachycardia can be caused by either ventricular (brain) problems or non-ventricular problems. All non-ventricular tachycardias are rated as supraventricular arrhythmias, code 7010. For ventricular tachycardias, choose the brain code that best describes the overall condition and symptoms.
- Tendonitis is close enough that it is rated as Tenosynovitis, code 5024.
- Tinea barbae is a type of dermatophytosis, code 7813.
- Tinea capitis is a type of dermatophytosis, code 7813.
- Tinea corporis is a type of dermatophytosis, code 7813.
- Tinea cruris is a type of dermatophytosis, code 7813.
- Tinea pedis is a type of dermatophytosis, code 7813.
- Tinea unguium is a type of dermatophytosis, code 7813.
- Trochanteric Bursitis is rated as bursitis, code 5019.
- Uremic medullary cystic disease is a cystic disease of the kidneys, code 7533.
- Uveitis is a form of choroidopathy, code 6000.
- Vulvovagnitis is a condition of the vulva, code 7610.
Ready to Get the VA Rating and Compensation YOU Deserve?
At VA Claims Insider, we help fellow Veterans celebrate LIFE CHANGE by getting them the VA disability rating and compensation YOU DESERVE by law.
And, you’ll get to work with a Veteran Coach (VC) who will lead you to VA claim success.
- We’re a company OF Veterans, BY Veterans, FOR Veterans! FOR Veterans, BY Veterans. We’re the largest community of Veterans Helping Veterans Worldwide™
- 15,000+ disabled veterans served in our Elite Membership program since 2016 with and average VA disability rating increase of >30%
- Better Business Bureau (BBB) Accredited Business
- 4.8/5.0 Google Reviews rating across 2,000+ total reviews
Click HERE to Join the #1 Rated VA Claims Insider Elite Program and Start Today for FREE.
About the Author
Founder & CEO
Brian Reese is VA benefits expert, author of the #1 Amazon Bestseller You Deserve It: The Definitive Guide to Getting the Veteran Benefits You’ve Earned, and founder of VA Claims Insider – “The Most Trusted Name in Education-Based Resources for Veterans.”
His frustration with the 8-step VA disability claims process led him to create “VA Claims Insider,” which provides U.S. military veterans with tips, strategies, and lessons learned for successfully submitting or re-submitting a winning VA disability compensation claim.
Brian is also the CEO of Military Disability Made Easy, which is the world’s largest free searchable database for all things related to DoD disability and VA disability claims and has served more than 4,600,000 military members and veterans since its founding in 2013.
His eBook, the “9 Secrets Strategies for Winning Your VA Disability Claim” has been downloaded more than 300,000 times in the past three years and is the #1 rated free VA disability claims guide for veterans.
He is a former active duty Air Force officer with extensive experience leading hundreds of individuals and multi-functional teams in challenging international environments, including a combat tour to Afghanistan in 2011 supporting Operation ENDURING FREEDOM.
Brian is a Distinguished Graduate of Management from the United States Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, CO and he holds an MBA from Oklahoma State University’s Spears School of Business, Stillwater, OK, where he was a National Honor Scholar (Top 1% of Graduate School class).